Welcome to the First Annual Freedom of Cloth Carnival
This post was written for inclusion in the Freedom of Cloth Carnival hosted at Natural Parents Network by Melissa of The New Mommy Files and Shannon of The Artful Mama. This year’s carnival will run from Sunday, July 3rd through Saturday, July 9th. Participants are sharing everything they know and love about cloth diapering, including how cloth has inspired them.
I switched to cloth diapers because my son had a constant diaper rash. At least that was what I thought it was. Turns out he was allergic to the latex in the disposable diapers. Cloth diapers have been very good for my son’s skin. However, from time to time he does develop some irritation. My first thought is not to reach for diaper rash cream in these cases but to do a green tea bath instead. I have really found this technique to help with diaper irritation.
I put a few tea bags into his bath water and allow them to steep. I usually make the water hotter then what I would put him in right away because it will make the tea faster and it will cool while we are waiting. I then give him some bath toys and let him play for 10 to 15 minutes and then I wash his body and hair and drain the water. I make sure I rinse and check to see that no tea leaves are stuck to him.
I typically do this before bedtime and it will be gone in the morning. For particularly bad or stubborn rashes I will let him play in the tub of tea during the day and then give him some diaper free time after.
Disclaimer: I learned about this technique from a discussion on My Home Remedies, I have liked the results that I have seen but you may not see similar results. As always if you are concerned with your child’s health please seek the advice of a trusted health professional so you can discuss the options that work best for your family.
Visit Natural Parents Network for the most up-to-date news on the Freedom of Cloth Carnival!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants on the following themes. Articles will go live on the scheduled theme day:
- Sunday, July 3rd, 2011: Cloth Related Recipes — Writers share their best cloth-related recipes and tutorials.
- Monday, July 4th, 2011: Choosing Your Cloth Style — Today’s posts discuss parents’ individual journeys to finding the cloth diapering “style” that best suits their families.
- Tuesday, July 5th, 2011: Cloth Diapering Must Haves — Parents talk about the most important items in their diapering “stash” and why they love them.
- Wednesday, July 6th, 2011: Wordless Wednesday, Inspired by Cloth — We asked parents to share their favorite cloth-related photo with us and turned them into a fluffy Wordless Wednesday photo montage on Natural Parents Network. Link up your own Wordless Wednesday post there!
- Thursday, July 7th, 2011: Cloth Through the Stages: From Infancy to Potty Independence — Today’s participants explain how cloth diapering has served their families throughout one or more stages of their children’s lives.
- Friday, July 8th, 2011: Cloth Troubleshooting and Laundry Day — Seasoned cloth diapering parents share their best tips and tricks for handling common cloth problems and tackling the diaper laundry.
- Saturday, July 9th, 2011: Inspired by Cloth — For today’s theme, we’ve asked writers to explore the ways cloth diapering has inspired them to become “greener” overall.